This spice-infused coconut sauce is the perfect example of how fresh spices can quickly and easily add full flavour to any dish. It works best with chicken or fish, add chilli if you desire.
- 4 chicken thighs,
- bone-in 3 cardamom pods
- 400 ml / 7 oz tin coconut milk
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 fennel bulb, shredded
- 1/3 cup filtered water
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2-star anise
- a big handful of baby spinach or chopped rainbow chard
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 cup cauliflower florets serve if desired
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- coconut oil for cooking
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Then add the star anise, fennel seeds, cardamom pods, turmeric and cumin and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the shredded cabbage and fennel and cook for 2 minutes, then push the vegetables to the edge of the pan and add the chicken thighs.
- Brown the chicken for about 3 minutes on each side, then add the coconut milk.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes, turning the chicken thighs halfway through.
- Add the baby spinach, remove from the heat and allow the greens to wilt.
- Serve with 1/3-1/2 cup brown rice.